Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Who's To Say

I could be making all of the wrong decisions for my son.

I COULD be messing everything up. I'm sure some people think that all single parents are messing their kids up completely.

I could be doing everything right though. For all I know, I could be raising the next Gandhi. A future president. A priest (although that's highly unlikely since we are not Catholic...but you never know).

So, to those that think it's their place to tell single parents how bad it is to be raised by a single parent...we know. We think about it. It keeps us up at night. The only consolation, really, is that sometimes people raised in completely normal homes end up all screwed up, too. I think it's better for my son to see that women will not put up with situations that are not good for them...or their children.

Who's to say what's wrong and what's right when it comes to raising children? Who are you to tell me that I'm not doing the right thing? Do I tell you that your child is a maniac and you should probably learn how to discipline them? No. I may want to, but since you are parenting your child your own way, I stay out of it. I tell my son quietly not to behave that way while you are screaming your head off at your child who is laughing in your face. My son and I go home to a relaxed, calm house while you and your husband scream at one another. How do you even have a voice left? How is THAT the right way, as opposed to the way I'm doing it?

Raising kids is hard work. It takes dedication no matter what your family situation. Everyone has their own opinion. Everyone thinks differently about these things. Who's to say who is right? I would say let's stop judging one another, but come on, we're all human beings. It is almost human nature to judge the way others do things. Let's just stop insulting one another by sharing our opinions....because, should you (invisible person I'm talking to) read this, I know that wouldn't feel good....just the way your comments about children needing two parent homes doesn't feel good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment